Do you struggle when it comes time to choose a carpet for your living room? At first, we all think that colour does not actually matter. But when we look at the different styles, fabrics, prizes and sizes, we realise that colour matters. It has a significant impact on the overlook of a room, as well as the atmosphere.
Different colours can create different effects, so choosing a shade that will complement your decor and furniture is essential. From bold reds to calming blues, there is a wide range of options to choose from.
But fear not, you will find all the answers you seek here. You will learn about the essential factors to consider, such as cleaning difficulty and how the colour of your carpet affects the size and shape of your room.
So whether you’re looking for a carpet that makes a statement or blends into the background, read on to find out more.
What colour should you choose for your carpet?
It is no secret that colours can manipulate our feelings about everything around us. A red carpet might make a room feel more energetic, while a blue one might make it look more calming to us. Likewise, a yellow rug can make a living room feel cheerful, and a green one can give us a relaxing vibe.
Ultimately, the choice you have to make regarding the carpet colour should depend on the room atmosphere you desire. Of course, non of us is a colour expert, but there are a few characteristics that we should all keep in mind:
- Red colour – Worldwide, the colour red symbolises love and passion. It can create an intimate atmosphere in any room you want, including your living room. However, you should be aware as this colour is also associated with aggression. Maintaining a carpet in this colour can also be challenging, especially if you spill anything, as every spot will be noticeable. Remember that regular carpet cleaning is necessary if you choose a red carpet.
- Yellow colour – Yellow carpets are certainly the first thing people notice entering a room. This colour is an energetic and vibrant one. It is frequently associated with passion and energy. Additionally, a carpet in such a colour is easy to maintain, and most spots are almost invisible so the cleaning won’t be a handful for you.
- Blue colour – Blue is a calming colour that can create an optimistic mood in your living room. It is also the symbol of wisdom and comfort. Carpets in blue colour can often not only decrease your appetite but can look clean even if they haven’t been vacuumed for a long time. It is a perfect choice for families with children and pets.
- Green colour – Green is a highly soothing colour. It can make you feel like you are surrounded by nature. It is the perfect choice for you if you are after a comfortable and relaxing atmosphere. Cleaning a carpet in this colour is not demanding as the dirt is hardly visible.
- Purple – Purple is a luxurious and exotic colour. It is known to be able to stimulate your imagination. Moreover, it pairs well with all-natural tones and looks fantastic alongside dusky pink and pale blue. Lilac or mauve shades of purple are often highly recommended for creating a dignified and regal atmosphere. Depending on the shade you choose for your living room, you will find how hard it is to clean it.
- Brown colour – Brown is just one of the loveliest colours. It brings the feeling of warmth and comfort. All a brown carpet wants from you is to choose it in the most pleasant shade. In addition, the maintenance of such rugs is easy as children’s play.
- Black colour – While black can be combined with almost any colour, a completely black carpet is not a practical choice. You must remember that black rugs are tough to maintain, as every spot, spill, and a little dust is highly visible. You need to regularly deep clean it to maintain its look.
- Grey colour – Gray is a popular colour choice for modern living room carpets, especially if you are into minimalist interior design. It creates a stylish statement in any room and is easy to maintain. However, if you choose a carpet in light grey, you need to pay more attention to any possible stains, as these might get out hardly.
- White colour – We can all agree that anything in white looks good. Way too good, even. White is probably the only colour that gives an impression of cleanliness and hygiene. It’s a neutral colour that can be easily combined with other colours. However, it can quickly get dirty, especially in high-traffic areas. If you are a family with children or pets, it is advisable to have your carpet cleaned at least two or three times a year. To ensure the longevity of your carpet, you can also consult a carpet cleaning company in Guildford. You will learn more about how to protect it and react once a spill occurs.
How difficult is it to clean different coloured carpets
Cleaning your carpets can be a challenging task. The difficulty may vary depending on their colour. For example, light-coloured carpets may show dirt and stains more visibly, as we already mentioned, making them more challenging to clean than darker-coloured ones. When selecting a carpet for your home, it is essential to consider your lifestyle, especially if you have pets or children. Opting for a darker-coloured carpet might be a wise choice to conceal any wear and tear unless that colour is black.
However, regardless of the colour and shade of your carpet, regular vacuuming and occasional wet cleaning are essential for maintaining a clean and hygienic living space. It is recommended to clean your carpet deep every 16 to 18 months. In the case of the living room, considered a high-traffic area, this frequency decreases to every 6-12 months. Of course, you need to take immediate action if there are any stains and spills on the carpet. Preferably, contact professionals before proceeding with any cleaning tricks.
How does the carpet colour affect the size and shape of a room
It is a well-known fact that the colour of your carpet can significantly impact your room’s overall look and feel. But did you know that the size and shape of your room can also affect how your carpet looks?
For instance, if you have a small room, you should consider a light-coloured carpet. This will help you make the room look bigger and brighter. Dark colours can make small rooms look even smaller. It will be best if you avoid these at all costs. If you have a large room, your options are much more. Darker colours can add warmth and cosiness, while lighter colours can help make the room feel spacious.
Along with that, your room’s shape can also impact how your carpet looks. For example, if you have a long, narrow room, a light-coloured rug will make it look less like a corridor and more like a welcoming space. On the other hand, if you have a square-shaped room, a darker colour might be the better choice. It will help to create definitions between different areas within the space.
Decorating a home is a tedious process. Once you have to fill in the small details, like what colour your carpet should be, everything looks even harder. However, remember that your comfort and preferences should not follow any rules. Choose the colours that bring you peace and love, and enjoy every day surrounded by them. Keep in mind some of the advice from above, and watch out for spills and stains.